Without any prior warning you can die quickly from carbon monoxide poisoning. You won’t be able to taste, smell or see it. Poorly maintained or fitted gas appliances are the main reason for carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a gas that is very poisonous.
Every year there are about 4,000 British people affected by carbon monoxide poisoning. Anyone that is lucky to survive could end up with brain damage or other health issues that could affect them for the rest of their life.
Carbon monoxide can be present in your home without your knowledge. Some signs that carbon monoxide is in your home include:
- The spark on your rings must be crispy and blue. Make sure your rings flames are not red or a slow yellow colour.
- Appliances that have cloud like stain on or around them.
- Pilot lights that blow out frequently
- Windows have more condensation than usual
Numerous people mistake the first symptoms of carbon monoxide for the common influenza, food poisoning or a virus-related infection. But, these are the main symptoms of low-level carbon monoxide poisoning.
Signs that you are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning can include:
- When you’re at home is when you first notice your symptoms
- As soon as you return home you symptoms reappear
- Your pets and other people in your house are feeling similar
These are the six symptoms to look out for:
What to do
The following points will tell you what you should do if your gas appliances aren’t working properly or carbon monoxide is present in your home.
- Leave your home, opening all door and windows as you leave. All gas appliances should also be switched off.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can be detected by having your blood or breath tested at your GP. So, visit your doctor if you start feeling the six indicators outlined above.
- Do not return to your house before a Gas Safe registered engineer has said it is safe to do so.
- Inform your utility provider of the problem